Thursday, January 04, 2007

I didn't "get" bookmarklets

I have only recently been fully aware of the joys of bookmarklets. Of course I had the del.icio.us bookmarklets for quite a while now, but, the idea had not fully sank in until recently. I didn't "get" bookmarklets.

Yesterday I re-discovered Google Reader and with it came its own, very useful, bookmarklet: Subscribe....

Today I decided to wrote my own: booktrack...

Booktrack is a web application to keep track of the books I read. It keeps track of what I want to read, what I'm reading now and what I'm done reading. This was inspired by librarything.com.

When it came to data entry, I had integrated with the amazon search API and it was working great. However, when people talk about books they usually link directly to the entry at amazon. Being on the page and having to log into my application to look for the exact same book seemed like a task that could be automated.

This was a spur-of-the-moment idea. A what-if that needed answering. 5 minutes later, I had it and it was working. It is relatively crude, but I'll take the iterative approach on this one.

Now I'm wondering what else I could do with that? What else needs a bookmarklet? What have I missed? This is all part of me trying to keep an eye out for stupid and repetitive tasks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home